About Attorney Barry Deacon
Founder of Deacon Law Firm
Attorney Barry Deacon has years of professional experience. Since being
admitted to practice by the Arkansas State Bar in 1975, he has been dedicated
to helping victims of accidents and negligence with their personal injury
claims. Recently, he expanded his practice and was admitted to Texas Bar in 2015.
If you’ve been injured don’t hesitate to call our Fayetteville
personal injury attorneys at 479-582-5353 to schedule your
free initial consultation.
Verdicts & Settlements
In recent years, Attorney Deacon has concentrated his practice in the area of
agriculture law, representing Riceland Foods and individual farmers against Bayer CropScience
in litigation involving genetically modified rice. This complex litigation
involved defending Riceland in over 200 lawsuits as well as prosecuting
Riceland’s damage claims against Bayer. Mr. Deacon was lead counsel
in obtaining the
largest jury verdict ever recorded in the state of Arkansas – $136.8 million in Riceland’s trial.
Attorney Deacon also
represented over 400 farmers and farm entities in their damage claims related to the contamination of the nation’s
commercial rice supplies by genetically modified rice. Mr. Deacon’s
clients participated in a $750 million global settlement against Bayer.
Attorney Deacon’s broad experience trying lawsuits gives him a unique
perspective of the law and how it applies to his clients’ cases.
His background representing both plaintiffs and defendants has also given
him the knowledge and insight to
evaluate cases from both sides of the courtroom.
- B.S. University of Arkansas, 1972
- J.D. University of Arkansas – Robert Leflar School of Law, Fayetteville, AR, 1975
Awards and Recognition
- In 2011, received the “Exceptional Service” award from Riceland
Foods, Inc. for his leadership in the representation of Riceland in the
2006 discovery of genetically engineered rice in the commercial rice supply.
Recently for 2015, named one of the
Best Lawyers in America in the categories of commercial litigation, product liability litigation,
and railroad law. Barry has received this recognition every year over
the past ten years.
Super Lawyers® in the practice areas of business litigation and personal injury.
- Recipient of AV® Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest rating
available to any individual attorney.
- Outstanding Attorney Award (2007) from the Arkansas Association of Defense Counsel.
Memberships and Activities
- President, Arkansas Bar Foundation (2005-2006)
- Member, Arkansas Supreme Court’s Committee on Professional Conduct (past)
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Member, Federal Court Practice Committee, United States District Court
for Eastern District of Arkansas
- Member, University of Arkansas Law School, Board of Visitors (past)
- President, Arkansas Association of Defense Counsel (1994-1995)
- American Bar Association
- Arkansas Bar Association
Call 479-582-5353 to discuss your case.